In uncertain times, teams look for certainty, direction and leadership. They turn to business owners and mangers to create certainty for them and to give them a future direction to be enthused about. In the absence of such certainty and clarity, there is a vacuum waiting to be filled. When a vacuum exists, if the key influencers are negative media reports or negative people, it simply breeds more negativity, uncertainty and team morale can worsen. Remember that the best way to predict the future for your business or organisation is to create it yourself.
Team Building On A Budget
Especially during times of uncertainty, business owners and managers need to step up and lead, inspire and motivate their team! Here are 6 effective team building strategies that you can implement, and on a budget.
1. It all starts with you! If you as a business owner or manager are negative, uncertain or doubtful about the future of your business or organisation, this will be reflected in your behaviour (eg. being indecisive). In turn, this will create uncertainty in yourself and your team. The first thing you need to do is to shift your focus from doom and gloom to opportunity and possibility.
2. Reignite your passion for the business/organisation. Take an hour out of your week to revisit your vision, mission and key strategic objectives for the year ahead. If you have never thought about, clarified or written these down, now is the perfect time to get that clarity and passion. When you are truly passionate about what you do, you and your team will be more inspired to perform and any challenge will simply be an opportunity to create, innovate or re-invent (rather than an obstacle).
3. Engage your team in your vision. Treat your team to a vision session away from the office in an environment that will encourage ideas and creativity. It could be a fun picnic in a nearby park or at the local beach (or similar). Choose a quiet time during a pleasant day. Bring coloured markers, stick it notes, paper, etc. with you. Circulate the most recent vision, mission and key strategic objectives prior to the session to get people focused and thinking. At the session, encourage brainstorming as to how best to achieve your vision and mission, and then set the key strategic objectives for the year. You may be surprised with the ideas your team generates. Encourage your team to generate ideas and to innovate, and reward this positive behaviour.
4. Clarify your goals and targets. Once you and your team agree the best ways to achieve your vision, mission and key strategic objectives, ensure you and your team then have clear goals and targets that support the achievement of these. Remember once you and your team achieve a goal, reward yourselves, celebrate and then set more goals to keep yourself and your team focused and motivated. Without goals to motivate us, we become directionless, uncertain and can be more easily distracted by other people’s projects, negativity and demands.
5. Avoid negative influences that distract your team from your goals. Stop watching and reading the news, it thrives on negativity and panic. Some organisations have banned newspapers and TV at the workplace because they have decided to take charge of their business. As a result, the workplace has become a much more positive environment for their employees and their businesses have continued to grow. Create a “can do” policy in your business. Again, show leadership rather than follow the herd!
Remember if you want your business or organisation to thrive over the long term, look after your team today, and they will reward you with their loyalty!
Dr. Vesna Grubacevic is an author, speaker, media commentator, the founder and Performance Transformation Expert® with award-winning company, Qt. She is the creator of breakthrough behavioural change techniques, holds a PhD, a BEc and has over 35 years’ business experience, including working directly with CEOs, senior executives and their teams to assist them to create exceptional results. Her Amazon best-selling book, Stop Sabotaging Your Confidence, has also been gifted to Hollywood and Australian award winners, nominees, hosts and celebrities. For additional free resources please visit www.qttransformation.com
(c) Qt, 2000 – 2016. All Rights Reserved.